Saturday, October 18, 2008

Steak and Young republicans


Things I ate:

9:30 am: sesame seed bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon

12:30 pm: grilled trout  with spinach

5:30 pm: Steak sandwich with chopped onions and cambozolo cheese (pictured above)

9:42 pm: seared chicken breast with rice. 








Things I hate:  Young Republicans

Everyone’s had one or two of these guys at their high school.  At mine it was Reagan Hobe (seriously his parents named him Reagan in the early 80s).  You know who I am talking about, the ones who read the Wall Street Journal online and would have been the first in line for the Hitler youth program.  What pisses me off about the young republicans is that I don't understand why they are Republicans.  

            While I don't agree with older republicans I at least understand why they are members of the GOP.  They got old and started to make some money and all of a sudden the higher tax burden of the democrats became unappealing.  Or, they see an ever liberalizing world as the youth take over and they vote socially republican with a “that would never fly in my day”, or “these kids these days” mentality.

            When young republicans state their case they fall into one of two categories.  They are either the “I love guns and hate queers” variety or the “I like sailing and khakis and am not good at sharing” variety.  I am not pissed because they don't share my viewpoint but because they never justify it with a rational argument.  If they said “I truly believe a supply side economic approach is the proper path to economic and therefore social growth in America,” I would get it.  But they never make a rational appeal they just always seem like they simply want to anger their peers by taking an unpopular political position.  Liberals may be thought of as the classic anti-social but on a modern college campus with a majority leftist faculty and student body it is the right-wingers who raise anger from the herd. This politics as a means to piss people off rather than a validly held ethos is why I hate young Republicans. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment